FAQs: I will include in this section pertinent questions asked of me by the community along with answers.
1. When do we cancel school because of the cold?
ANSWER: Current district policy states that when the actual air temperature reaches -35 degrees F. OR windchills reach -70 degrees orgreater, school will be canceled. Our current rule of thumb involves several factors:
- If the bus contractor for the School District of Tomahawk recommends the closing of the school because of conditions;
- Or if schools to both the north and south, those which touch our district borders, are closing for the day due to temperature;
- Or if actual air temperature along with windchill reaches -50 or greater, cancellation of school is strongly encouraged;
- Or if our local or state legal authorities urge us to cancel school.
2. Why did the Board of Education approve the most recent district-wide reductions on Tuesday, Feb. 11?
ANSWER: Current projections indicate that the School District of Tomahawk will be looking at a 2014-2015 budget shortfall in excess of $577,000. In 2015-2016 that shortfall will increase by another projected $681,000. The easiest conclusion for many to make is that the District has overspent. The reality is that revenues for public education continue to decrease while costs to operate continue to increase. There is no secret bullet to this dilema. The District must continue to reduce expenditures or go to referendum. This last round of reductions was done under two premises: 1) Try to make reductions that affect students and student programming the least; and 2) Try to maintain full-time staffing vs. reducing contracts and very possibly loosing staff.
Welcome to the School District of Tomahawk, where our mission is to boldly empower all students to be socially responsible, life-long learners in an ever changing world. To achieve that mission, every one of our schools maintains an annual plan of work that lays out steps toward the continual improvement of our instructional program and the students they serve.
Our goal in Tomahawk is to become the school district of choice, known for our high levels of academic achievement, the excellence of our programs, and our sound stewardship in the community. We have made commitments to our students, parents, district staff, and our community to take the necessary steps toward that vision. As a district, we are large enough to offer a comprehensive academic program with the most cutting edge technology, yet we are small enough to provide all of our students and families with the personal attention that they deserve. If you haven't seen some of the great things happening in our schools, please contact any of our school offices and make arrangements for a tour. I am confident you will be impressed by what you see.